Kind Folk Red 2019 Wildly Fermented - Zig Zag Rd
Hooo hoo, do we love this one. Fruity, fruity, fruity. It’s a Zig Zag Rd. field blend, using grapes from beautiful vines planted nearly 50 years ago.
Predominantly cabernet, then merlot. It was a ‘hold on to your seats’ wild ferment, anxiously checking (and hoping) if it started every day, only to find it was happy to sit there quietly and do things in its own time. But it did eventually kick off, and had a long and fairly cool ferment to dryness.
It was fermented on skins for around a month, with a gentle extraction process, using a combination of our hands to ‘wet the cap’ and a metal plunger. Once a day only. 9epic right?) They transferred it into seasoned French barrels (no new oak) and let it mature on its gross lees for around 14 months, where it went through a natural malolactic fermentation (a process that turns the malo acids to lactic acids, and makes the wine softer).
All in all an epic process for a bloody delicious red!
Some boring stuff we have to say:
- liquor must be packaged together with flowers, food or other gifts
- the volume of liquor supplied to a person must not exceed 1.5 litres per day
- the value of the liquor and its container must not be more than 50 per cent of the gift's sale price
- liquor supplied needs to be purchased by the proprietor on a retail basis
- both the purchaser and recipient of the flowers or gift must be 18 years or over.